26/100: And Then There Were None

10 people are invited to a remote island, and one by one, they are killed. The crime seems impossible... could it be that there is a murderer in their midst? Or is there someone else on this island with them? 

I managed to squeeze in one more book in the month of March and boy, was it a doozy. All hail the queen of mysteries, Agatha Christie. I've heard that And Then There Were None is one of her finest works. I myself cannot attest to that as this is only my second Christie read, but I can agree that she is a master of complex plots.

I devoured this one over the course of 24 hours; I was immediately pulled in and from the start, I found myself guessing on every page as to how the story would play out. The more I read, the more my heart would pound. It was almost like I was on that island with these characters; hunted, alone, and scared.

The scariest part of this book, I believe, is the element of humanity. Think about it: when we find ourselves in a tense or stressful situation, a natural human response is to deflect. Our fight-or-flight response kicks in and it's all about self-preservation; every man for himself. I could imagine what these people were going through, fearing not only this crazed murderer, but also each other. From my reading of Murder on The Orient Express, as well as now this novel, I can see that Christie has a way of proving that a seemingly fantastical mystery can actually happen in everyday life. We're all just humans, really.

Stats:
Completed: Mar 30
Rating: 5 stars
Pages: 183

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

36/100: Read It And Weep

March Wrap-Up + Thoughts

8/100: Book, Line, and Sinker