12/100: The Awakening of Miss Prim

Image result for the awakening of miss primI did not like this book... now that I've gotten that out of the way :)
I picked this one up because Sarah Clarkson included it in one of her recommendation lists in Book Girl. The initial concept intrigued me and I am always up for reading a good book about books. However, this one did not turn out quite like I expected. Honestly I would have abandoned it if I had realized earlier on that I wasn't enjoying it; by the time I did I was more than halfway through and it seemed like a waste not to follow through. I am glad I completed it, though. I really dislike DNFing books because of the feeling I get of no resolution.

I had the overall feeling of a lack of plot, for one thing. Sometimes I thought the main plot was a romance between Miss Prim and the Man in the Wing Chair, but that wasn't entirely resolved. Other times I thought it was meant to be some kind of growth journey on Miss Prim's part, and while she did show some change at the end, it didn't feel like enough to really identify that as the main plot.

I am trying to get more comfortable with enjoying books even if the main character is unlikable. I find that often the point is to dislike the character so that you can more fully appreciate their growth or decline. However, I really just could not get on board with Miss Prim. I found her confusing and irritating at best, especially the parts where the narrator described her as "sticking her nose up" in the air. One minute she wanted to hear someone's opinion or learn from them, and then the next she got offended and irritated and acted all high-and-mighty.

All in all I struggled to get through because of Miss Prim acting so snobbish, feeling as if there was no plot and thus the story dragged, and also feeling like the ending really offered no clear-cut resolution. I just felt kind of meh about the whole book. The two stars I did give the book was for the obvious talent the writer has for, well, writing. And because they mentioned my favorite book of all time, Little Women :)

Stats:
Completed: Feb 15
Rating: 2 stars
Pages: 272

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

36/100: Read It And Weep

March Wrap-Up + Thoughts

8/100: Book, Line, and Sinker