6/100: Little Women

Image result for little women bookPrepare yourselves, friends. This review will not be a short one. I suggest you make yourself a hot drink and perhaps a snack and settle in, because I've got thoughts.

First of all, I don't know how I managed to go 21 years before reading and finishing Little Women. I have attempted this novel several times in the past and I never got very far. My most recent attempt was a few months ago; I borrowed my sister's pretty Puffin copy, but only achieved the first 10 chapters or so. After she and I watched the new Little Women movie adaptation (twice!), I decided once and for all, come hell or high water, I was going to finish this book.

And OH. MY. GOODNESS... YA'LL!!!

This is now my favorite book.

You know how we can never pick a favorite book or movie because there are just too many and we have so many beloveds in different ways? Well, this tops all that... Little Women will forever and always be my favorite book.

Let me begin my review by saying that I credit part of my success in finishing this novel to the use of my Kindle. I've said it before, I will always prefer a physical copy of a book, but there are certain titles that truly benefit from a Kindle, and are just right to read it in that format. This was one of them to me. I can't say for certain why, although I know that my sister's copy that I attempted reading was rather short, stout, and thick; it might sound dumb, but the uncomfortable-ness that resulted from holding the book deterred me from picking it up and reading it. So here is a Kindle success story, from the lips of a self-proclaimed e-reader hater!

The Sisterhood
One of my favorite aspects of this novel is the friendship that comes from being sisters. I know I have discovered this in my life as my own sister and I have gotten older and matured. I used to claim I was most like Meg (before I read the book and was basing my identification off the 1994 movie) but now I identify with every sister. I could see my sister and I in the roles of Amy and Jo as they fought over going to plays and ice skating and manuscripts. I could see my sister and I in the roles of Jo and Meg as two sisters sharing secrets. I could feel Jo's pain at losing her dear Beth, and could almost feel the pain that I would have if my own sister suffered as Beth did.
The sisters were relatable in that they did wrong, recognized the need and desire to do better, attempted and were successful for a time, but ultimately were human and needed to constantly ask for forgiveness and direction.

Beth
I saw myself in Beth, or at least took in Beth as my role model, more so than ever. I think Beth is a highly underrated character in Little Women. Everyone wants to be Jo, or claim to see themselves in Jo, and I can understand that. I see my sharp tongue and quick and flighty passions in her character. But Beth is my favorite.

I learned something I did not expect to take away from this novel: the importance of servanthood, homemaking, and a joyful spirit.

There were so many instances, involving all the girls, not just Beth, in which they were encouraged to work hard and diligently, with a joyful spirit. Beth in particular, however, possessed the true spirit for serving others and making her family feel comfortable and looked after.

"There are many Beths in the world, shy and quiet, sitting in corners till needed, and living for others so cheerfully that no one sees the sacrifices till the little cricket on the hearth stops chirping, and the sweet, sunshiny presence vanishes, leaving silence and shadow behind." 

She convicted me that it's not enough to serve; one must serve joyfully, genuinely, and quietly. The goal is not to bring attention to oneself, or to receive praise and admiration for all my hard work, but to make life easier on my family and relieve burdens from others. She reimagined for me what homemaking is, the joy that it can be, and precisely why I feel so called to be a wife and mother. She also encouraged me that while I wait for a home of my own and a family of my own, I have one right now that I can take care of, and practice my skills and spirit until then.

"Make this home happy, so that you may be fit for homes of your own, if they are offered you, and contented here if they are not." 

Jo
Perhaps the most encouraging thing about this novel is watching the sisters as they learn from their mistakes and grow in wisdom and maturity. The novel continuously reminds us to look to the Lord as the perfecter, not ourselves; the movies seem to place the credit on the girls themselves, claiming it was their power within that helped them overcome their flaws, which is a sad depiction of the world we live in now. And perhaps this is why it's necessary to read these classic novels, to remind ourselves of our roots.
Jo was the best example of overcoming flaws. Her tongue got the best of her in countless situations, and she had to learn to bend her will for the benefit of others. From her, I learned what sacrifice is, what it means to bend my strong will and use it for good, and to not let my passion and sharp tongue control me.

"You are the gull, Jo, strong and wild, fond of the storm and the wind, flying far out to sea, and happy all alone."

Marmee
There are just not enough good words to say about her, other than she is the mother and wife I aspire to be. Her spirit was calming and comforting and served as a balm to Jo. Marmee was understanding, quick to offer advice and instruction, but just as quick to let the girls learn for themselves. Her conversations with each girl, but particularly Meg and her role as wife and mother, gave me guidane in my own life.

"Go out more, keep cheerful as well as busy, for you are the sunshine-maker of the family, and if you get dismal there is no fair weather." 

Romance
The romances in this novel are some of my favorites. The true friendship of Jo and Bhaer, the quiet love of Meg and John, and the passion of Amy and Laurie all model different facets of the complexities of relationships. It's not something I can speak to personally at this time in my life, but I was encouraged reading about each couple's highs, lows, and difficulties.

"To be loved and chosen by a good man is the best and sweetest thing which can happen to a woman."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did say this would be a long review. I am finding it difficult to truly express all my thoughts and feelings regarding this novel and its complexities. Little Women had more of an effect on me that I expected or even thought possible, and I am a better woman because of it. I fully expect to read this novel many more times, and come away with a new piece of insight every time.

I am sure nothing I have said here hasn't been said before, but I find myself more tender-hearted, more willing, more forgiving, and more attentive after this.

I'll end with probably one of my most favorite quotes from the book, from a song that Jo wrote to encourage the sisters. I have written it on several notecards and posted in different rooms of the house to encourage me to work hard and well and lovingly.

"I am glad a task to me is given, 
to labor at day by day, 
for it brings me health and strength and hope, 
and I cheerfully learn to say, 
Head, you may think, Heart, you may feel, 
But, Hand, you shall work alway!"


Stats:
Completed: January 22
Rating: Five Stars
Pages: 496

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

36/100: Read It And Weep

March Wrap-Up + Thoughts

8/100: Book, Line, and Sinker