34/100: Amish Outsider


Amish Outsider (River Haven): Perry, Marta: 9781335006783: Amazon ...Amish fiction is a niche genre that I enjoy reading very much. The Amish way of life is something of a fascination for me; years ago when I first started reading it, I often wished that I had been born into it. There's just something about the simplicity. I can't quite explain it, but with every book I read, I find myself drawn more and more to it. Someday I would love to go to Pennsylvania and visit the Amish townships there, and pick up an authentic quilt :)

The benefits of this genre are that it inspires and convicts me. How can I serve my family better? How can I draw closer to the Lord, simply and sweetly? How can I practice forgiveness more? Usually, the Amish fiction novel contains some kind of romance and that's the kind I enjoy; clean, sweet, and endearing. 
The Amish Outsider was a random find on Libby. After a quick perusal, I discovered that unfortunately, I won't be able to feed my habit much without the benefits of a library hold on physical books. While I have a Kindle Unlimited membership, for the time being, many of the quality titles are only available for purchase. I do happen to have several titles on my personal bookshelf that I might need to re-read to fill the void. (As a side note, I made an Amish recipe for carrots tonight that were delicious!) 

The Amish Outsider was a little different than the titles I usually read. The underlying theme was a mystery, not romance. While there was a romantic relationship that developed between the main characters, that was not the central plot. I missed some of the descriptive passages that are often present in other Amish-centric novels; scenes describing meals cooked, traditional clothing, gatherings, and much of the language. Many authors do a really good (gut) job injecting Pennsylvania Dutch into their writing. While I enjoy reading for the romance, much of the pull for me is learning more about the culture and lifestyle. 

I did like this story and the mystery kept me engaged until the end. The two main characters did bother me quite a bit. Michael, the prodigal son returning to the fold, constantly played the blame-game with himself. He put himself in the martyr role so many times that I became annoyed. I could understand his feelings initially, but after awhile it felt more like a search for pity than anything. Cathy was much more likable and I related to her because she is a teacher. She had a complete inability to stand up for herself, though. Again, I can understand that to a certain degree; despite my strong-willed personality, I anxiously avoid confrontation. It became unbelievable, however, when she insisted on how much she loved teaching and her students, but she refused to speak up for herself and make a case as to why she should remain in that position. 

Overall it was a solid 3-star read for me; enjoyable and filled the Amish fiction void, but not what I usually come to the genre for. If you are a newbie to the genre, this might actually be a good introduction story for you. The presence of a mystery might help newcomers get their feet wet and decide whether it's for them or not. 

Stats:
Completed: May 11
Rating: 3 stars
Pages: 384

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

36/100: Read It And Weep

March Wrap-Up + Thoughts

8/100: Book, Line, and Sinker