32/100: The Bookshop on The Shore

This book was an absolute delight; it was like a cup of tea and a warm blanket wrapped up in pages and bound in leather. Except of course, that I read a Kindle edition of this story and not a physical copy... but that's neither here nor there.
I read the predecessor, The Bookshop on The Corner, last year and at first blush had no interest in reading the second book. I'll admit, I have a sort of bias towards books that center around an adult woman with a child and relationship problems; it's just not where I'm at in my own life and so I find it hard to relate and thus remain interested. However, I saw this book floating around on Goodreads and decided to give it a try. When my Libby hold finally came in after a couple weeks, I was able to dive headfirst into Scotland and the Loch Ness. This is one of the reasons I adore reading: I can visit new places without even leaving my home. Today, I was able to experience Scotland and London. While it took me several days to complete, I finished the last 60% of The Bookshop on The Shore in one sitting, it was that good.

The Bookshop on the Shore by Jenny ColganThere were a few character quirks that bugged me; namely Nina and her attitude. Knowing her backstory from the first book, I couldn't help but feel irritated with her and wonder why she wasn't being more supportive of Zoe, when she herself struggled to fit in when she first arrived to the Highlands. Mrs. MacGlone was also pretty awful for most of the story, but of course she was meant to be. The plot line also gave me major Jane Eyre vibes, with a fresh new take and truly horrible children.
Ramsay reminded me of Mr. Darcy, in that you had to get to know him to be endeared to him. But I tend to like the ones in which you have to peel back the layers to appreciate; all good things, including people, take a bit of work. Ramsay is why I now believe that I absolutely must marry a massive, Scottish, mountain-man with three unruly children that I have come to take care of... a girl can dream, right? :)

This installment felt just a little heavier than the first; I felt like Zoe had more real-life problems than Nina did. I actually think I like her more than Nina simply because she overcame them in a very no-nonsense, take-charge kind of way. There was no whining, no beating around the bush with this one. All-in-all, a really good story that captured me and nestled in yet another small place of my heart... I just don't think my heart is big enough to store all these stories, guys <3

Stats:
Completed: May 3
Rating: 4 stars
Pages: 407

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

36/100: Read It And Weep

March Wrap-Up + Thoughts

8/100: Book, Line, and Sinker